Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mussoorie... Diarrhea... and my schedule...

I've had diarrhea for a week now. I finally decided to take an antibiotic prescribed by my doctor in the states. We'll see if it works or not.

I leave Monday morning for the city of Mussoorie in Himachal Pradesh, north of Delhi. We are going on a language retreat and will be there for two weeks. It is less a retreat for language and more of a retreat from the heat here in Benaras. Daily the temperatures are in the mid 90's with humidity about the same. Just imagine walking through really heavy air, and you can get the idea.

Mussoorie is supposedly in one of the most beautiful areas of India. At the foot hills of the himalayas, this former British Hill Station, will give me a much needed break from the bustling city life. I have not found too difficult to cope with the insane amount of external stimuli, but nonetheless it does get on my nerves once in a while being howled for a rickshaw here or from a shop there. All because I am a white "tourist." I feel that people are beginning to recognize me in my neighborhood and are hounding me less, plus being able to tell people in hindi that I am not interested is a big bonus. They seem to respect me more for it and leave me alone.

I am undecided about what to pursue regarding my anthropological field research project. I have changed my mind about a dozen times already and will most likely change it a dozen more. I just find it extremely difficult to find any semblance of 'base' here. I haven't been able to see much of the city yet. Monday thru Friday a have yoga at 7am and from there I head to my 4 hour hindi class (9-1). After class we have lunch at the program house. At this point in the day, it is the hottest, and I try to remain in doors to avoid over exertion. At around 5pm I head home and organize my notes, then head to my local cafe to complete the homework assigned. I then go out for dinner at some local restaurants, usually for some non-spiced up food. My stomach is still really upset, kind of shitty, if you catch my drift. This schedule rarely leaves time for any traveling within the city.

When we get back to Benaras in early October, I will be able to see more as I will only have class from three days a week for 3 hours. This shortened schedule will allow me some more time run around the city and begin to experience Benaras for what it is known for.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great Craig! Sorry to hear you're still feeling sick. But you are in our thoughts and prayers. I bet your hindi is getting so much better! How are you liking your Yoga class? Is it similar to yoga classes in the states? Do they have different poses? Is it taught in hindi or english?

    Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete